You might know that good oral hygiene includes brushing your teeth at least twice a day. However, how familiar are you with the importance of flossing? Flossing is an essential part of your dental routine, as it helps remove plaque and food particles from between your teeth and gums. In fact, flossing can help prevent cavities, gum disease, and other oral health problems. At Harmony Dental of Santa Clarita, we want to stress the importance of flossing and help you develop good flossing habits.
Why Is Flossing Important?
Flossing helps remove food particles and plaque from between your teeth and along the gum line, preventing the buildup of harmful bacteria that can lead to gum disease. Gum disease is a common condition that affects millions of people and can lead to serious health problems if left untreated. In fact, research has linked gum disease to heart disease, stroke, inflammation, and other systemic illnesses.
How to Floss Properly
To get the most out of your flossing routine, follow these steps:
- Start with a piece of floss that is about 18 inches long.
- Wrap the ends of the floss around your index and middle fingers, leaving about an inch of floss in between.
- Gently slide the floss between your teeth in a back-and-forth motion, holding it between your thumbs and index fingers.
- Curve the floss around the base of each tooth, making sure to go beneath the gum line.
- Use a fresh section of floss for each tooth, and don’t forget to floss the back of your last molars.
Daily Habits for Healthy Gums
Now that you know how to floss properly, it’s important to develop habits that will improve the health of your gums:
- Floss at least once a day, preferably before bedtime.
- Use fluoridated toothpaste and mouthwash to help strengthen your teeth and kill bacteria.
- Consider using a water flosser or interdental brush if traditional flossing is difficult or uncomfortable.
- Limit your intake of alcohol, sugar, and processed carbohydrates like bread and potato chips that can stick to your teeth.
- Avoid smoking, which can lead to gum disease, tooth loss, oral cancer, and other health problems.
- Visit your dentist regularly. With regular oral health care from the professionals at Harmony Dental of Santa Clarita, we can remove bacteria, tartar, and plaque and help keep your mouth healthy in between visits.
At Harmony Dental of Santa Clarita, we are committed to helping our patients maintain healthy teeth and gums. If you have any questions about flossing or would like to schedule a dental checkup, contact us today. Together, we can work toward a healthier smile.
Call to Schedule
Our office is available to answer your questions and evaluate your symptoms.
Mon, Wed, Thur, Fri:
9am – 5pm
Sat - Sun: Closed
Phone Available After Hours